Sunday, July 22, 2012

Arvos

Wind never really picked up and the swell hung around all day. The reef was the only real wave and there was a rotation of surfer all day.

I decided to have a hand plane session at Barnacles because it has been too many days since I last got wet. The waves weren't great and there were plenty of rocks but I braved the cold water to get a couple of little walls. Always brings a smile to your face.

The down side was that I took out my waterproof camera and the back opened. I think it is stuffed but I've got my fingers crossed for when it dries. Looks like the SD card died and some of my photos with it.

As usual I had finally figured how I would mount it on my new hand board. The new board is just about ready to hit the water. I gave it a finishing sand this afternoon and the first coat of oil to finish it. Looks great. Its wider and made from strips of cedar and Tassie oak. Made for some great smells during construction but the different hardness and grains made for some interesting shaping.

I have kept this one very simple with just a slight single concave running through the middle. It's only three slabs wide and there isn't much rocker either. I'm hoping by keeping it flat it will plane better and faster. However with the width it is going to be a bugger to swim with.

Rough Shape

Nearly done


No comments: