Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday's rock

I've said it before - there can't be a bad Friday afternoon surf. Today was no exception.

I deliberately ignored the beach first up this morning because I was pretty sure it would have been ok and I had to start work early. At lunch time I had to drive past and there was swell and offshore-ish winds. I wasn't betting on it still being ok when I finished work as the wind looked like it wanted to swing.

But by five-ish when I took the Kelvinator and the belly board to BP it was still offshore, the water was crystal clear and there was only a SUP and a couple of body boarders out. I started at Juniors but it wasn't really doing it so I paddled across to the reef.

The waves were good if very inconsistent. I caught a few wally lefts and nearly killed myself going for a floater on the end section which was dumping onto nearly bare rocks. Not only did the water disappear but my board turning into a slide, fins up ! Luckily no damage to me or more importantly the board.

After my fill I took my DIY belly board out for a couple of insiders at Juniors and it slid like a champ !

The water was clear, the temperature just right and the sun out. The perfect way to wash away a work week, especially when I have next week off.

No comments: