Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ouch !!!!!!!

Went to Dunsborough to look at a new board today. Mark "Hillzy" Hills at Yahoo Surfboards lent me a 6'4" Kelvinator to try out.

There is hardly any swell but I decided to try it out at very small Shallows. Normally I wouldn't have bothered but it was clear, offshore and empty and I wanted to try the board anyway.

It wasn't that hot but to my dismay the path down was firey black sand. I haven't lived further than a k from a beach for 30 years, must have gone to the beach thousands of time and been down that path 50. Until today I had never burnt my feet. The soles of my feet and most of my toes are covered in blisters. It's a bit off putting when you stand up and can feel the blistered skin squishing around in your wax.

Regardless the board went really well, especially as it was so tiny. The board is a thick slab and I'm planning to replace my 7'6" mini mal with it. It needs to be able to surf crappy Juniors and if it can catch waves today, it can catch them anywhere.

Needless to say I put in my order and hopefully it will be ready soon.

Locally it is flat, proper flat. The harbour buoy is at 0.17 and the wind is blowing any chances of swell towards South Africa. The forecast isn't looking great but the cyclone could change it. Don't expect a Bianca swell though.

No comments: